The word “righteous” in Scripture carries with it the idea of meeting God’s standards of doing what it right in the sight of God - being obedient to Him and being just and fair to others. If the “righteous are to flourish like palm trees” what does that mean?
1. Palm trees grow straight up - always looking upward to heaven for light and nourishment. Likewise the Christian looks to God to find His will for their life.
2. Each and every part of a palm tree is useful. The leaves not only provide shelter from the elements but the tree itself has many nourishing and medicinal qualities. The Christian is expected to give life and hope and nourishment to others.
3. Palm trees are not affected by drought. A palm tree is not affected by the weather and can survive nearly every surface injury. The Christian rooted in Christ draws his strength and well-being from God.
4. The palm tree is an evergreen tree because it draws its life flow within its being, keeping it fresh.
5. The palm tree cannot be grafted into any other tree because it has its own unique identity. Christians have one Master and cannot be grafted to any other identity.
6. Palm trees are an emblem of victory. This was seen when Jesus entered triumphantly into Jerusalem.
7. Palm trees always show a place where water can be found. Christians find their “living water” in Christ who can quench their thirst.
Prayer: We ask, Father, that every part of our lives will be useful in proclaiming Your grace and mercy to others. In Jesus’ Name, Amen.
Scripture for Today: Psalm 92:12 The righteous will flourish like a palm tree, they will grow like a cedar of Lebanon;